Apple Workgroup Server 8550/200
- Three PCI (Peripheral Component Interconnect) slots for expansion cards
- Internal 2GB, 7200-rpm hard disk drive, with bracket and cable for a second drive
- Internal 8x-speed CD-ROM drive
- Internal DDS-2 digital audio tape (DAT) drive (some configurations)
- Two SCSI DMA buses to support up to eight devices and transfers up to 10MB/s (internal only)
- Eight ports to support a wide range of peripherals
- Built-in Ethernet and LocalTalk capabilities
- Support for AppleTalk and TCP/IP networking protocols
- Token Ring support optional (with PCI card)
- 200-MHz PowerPC 604e RISC processor with floating-point processor and 64K on-chip cache on an upgradable CPU card
- 512K level 2 cache
- 32MB of RAM, expandable to 512MB
The Workgroup Server 8550/200 is the most powerful member of the PowerPC processor-based Workgroup Server family from Apple. It delivers file and print, database, Internet, and communications capabilities that meet the needs of growing workgroups in education, business, and publishing. It's ideal for workgroups that use both Macintosh and Windows software-based computers.
Apple Workgroup Servers are highly reliable, high-performance systems with large storage capacity that provide organizations with faster, more efficient shared network services and secure centralized storage. In addition the Workgroup Server 8550/200 also runs the familiar graphical interface of the Mac OS, making all of its capabilities incredibly easy to use.
Featuring a 200-megahertz PowerPC 604e processor with 64K on-chip cache and 512K level 2 memory cache, the Workgroup Server 8550/200 delivers all the performance benefits of state-of-the-art RISC technology. For easy, flexible expansion, it features three PCI slots that let you add capabilities by installing a variety of cards.
To make sure that network administrators can work as efficiently as possible, and that users get the most out of all that power and capacity, the Workgroup Server 8550/200 offers a choice of three software bundle solutions. The Applications Server Solution provides a variety of useful Apple and third-party software for administration, reliability, productivity, and performance. The AppleShare Server Solution includes all of the software that comes with the Applications Server, plus AppleShare file and print server software, remote administration software from Santorini, and Apple Remote Access MultiPort Server software. These two Workgroup Server 8550/200 solutions also include AppleShare Client for Windows software, so Windows users on the network can access networked printers and files stored on a Workgroup Server running AppleShare file and print server software. The Apple Internet Server Solution comes with all the software you need to create a presence on the World Wide Web -- quickly, easily, and affordably.