Avid Xpress is the fastest way to create high-quality video and multimedia content. Designed with productivity and creativity in mind, Avid Xpress gives you more time to explore, to experiment...to find the best creative solution. No need to wrestle with work-arounds and complicated technology.
Available in four configurations, Avid Xpress is based on a philosophy of unmatched productivity, so you can be more creative, achieve higher-quality results, and realize the fastest return on your investment.
Unprecedented Editing Power + Productivity with One-Step Technology | Avid Xpress is designed so you can work in the fewest possible steps, often with a single mouse click, so you can save time and keep the creative process flowing. With other systems, much of your creative time is spent working manually and slowly, due to multiple steps and workarounds. Avid's One-Step technology takes working with digital media to new levels of speed and productivity.
Tight Timeline Editing
Each shot edited to the timeline is automatically joined with the shots around it, eliminating the need for a second step to close gaps between shots. This shortens project time dramatically.
Single Track Transitions
Avid Xpress uses a single-track editing model. With a single drag-and-drop motion you place a transition directly on the transition point between shots and it automatically "snaps" clips to in points and out points. You save time and increase productivity by eliminating the need to place shots on the correct tracks, line up overlaps, and apply the transition to a third effects track.
32 Levels of Undo/Redo
If you make a mistake or simply change your mind, 32 levels of undo make it easy to go back and make changes or view a previous version of a cut. There are no limits on your ability to experiment.
Park your cursor on the timeline and with one button click recall the source for the shot or audio track where your cursor is parked. Press the Edit button and the source shot is seamlessly edited to the clip in the timeline. This is a valuable time-saver during long edit sessions.
Pop-Up Source Monitors
Double-click on a clip in a bin to open its source monitor with its own toolbar for playback, modification, and editing. You can keep several pop-ups open at once for quick access to multiple shots.
Sift through source material using several simultaneous criteria-such as clip name, date, duration, etc.-to quickly display only the material requested. The Sift feature saves time by eliminating the need to sort through material and locate specific shots manually.
You can keep useful material and delete unwanted material in one simple step. Select an edited sequence (or raw clips) and a specific drive or different section of the same drive to consolidate the media. The Consolidate feature maintains organizational integrity and maximizes disk space, which leads to greater efficiency and cost savings.
You can composite multiple layers into a single track in one easy step.
Truest Online Image Quality | Avid Xpress supports ITU 601-R broadcast industry standards for the truest online image quality so you are assured of the highest quality video production, suitable for broadcast. Avid Xpress also delivers 2:1 image compression (300KB/NTSC; 360KB/PAL). No other digital video system combines unmatched speed and productivity features with the highest image standards for the utmost in professional-quality output.
Built-In Compositing for Streamlined Production | Built-in compositing saves production time and eliminates frustration. Avid Xpress offers up to four video tracks for real-time, integrated, non-destructive layering and nesting, eliminating the need for expensive and time-consuming third-party applications. You save both time and money. Each track may have several nested effects. For example, a picture-in-picture may consist of several shots with color correction, motion effects, titles, mattes, and transitions. You can create multi-layered effects within Avid Xpress, then composite multiple layers into a single track in one easy step.
Real-Time Processing for Increased Productivity | With the real-time features in Avid Xpress, you spend less time waiting and more time creating. Customizable real-time 3D effects, real-time picture-in-picture, and over 24 real-time transitions and more are available. Titles and graphics are displayed in an uncompressed format for the best quality representation in real time. And real-time 2D keyframed titles and graphics allow unlimited flexibility for motion, titles and graphics over video.
Richest, Most Advanced Sound | Eight-track, real-time, online audio mixing with 3-band EQ, real-time rubberband gain adjustments, and external audio device control make it faster and easier to produce the richest, most advanced sound. Audio can be input in either analog or S/PDIF digital formats and is compatible with a wide range of audio equipment including Digital Audio Tape (DAT) machines. For more complex sound design, the tracks edited in Avid Xpress can be opened in Digidesign® ProTools® software, either on the same computer or on a dedicated ProTools workstation.
Third-Party Integration for Ease of Use | Avid Xpress is compatible with your favorite applications for animation, effects, and audio. It works seamlessly with QuickTime® applications and with audio applications from DigiDesign, including ProTools. With Avid Video Extension (AVX) plug-in support, third-party developers such as Artel Software (Boris Effects) and Ultimatte Corporation (Ultimatte for Macintosh) have full access to Avid Xpress' multiple video tracks and nesting capabilities for the tightest possible integration.
Four Configurations to Choose From | Avid Xpress is available in four configurations. Each delivers unprecedented functionality and offers creative professionals the speed, quality, and creative options unattainable from other comparably-priced systems.
From Avid, the Digital Media Leader | Avid Xpress is based on Avid's award-winning seventh-generation software for the film and television industry. With Avid as your business partner, you have the peace of mind knowing that you are buying from the industry leader-a corporation with the vision and leadership to position you for long-term success.
- ITU 601-R broadcast industry standard image output (720x486 NTSC; 720x576 PAL)
- 3:1 image compression - 200 KB/NTSC; 240 KB/PAL (AVR 75)
- Two video tracks for compositing
- Off-line (draft mode) and on-line image quality available
- Component and composite or serial digital I/O
- Sony RS-422 serial and VLAN deck control
- Batch digitizing
- Waveform monitor and vectorscope
- SMPTE timecode support
- Integrated EDL import/export
- 8-track audio editing
- 4-track, real-time audio mixing
- 44.1 kHz sampling rate
- Real-time, 3-band EQ
- Real-time rubberband gain adjustments in timeline
- Adjustable audio input/output levels
- Control volume & pan between channels by clip or track
- Display audio waveforms and scan audio
- Two channels of S/PDIF digital or analog I/O
- Scrubbing with pitch change
- Waveform display in timeline
- Single-track audio crossfades
- Downsample audio to 22 kHz and 11 kHz for export
- Digidesign AudioSuite plug-in support
- Built-in Pro Tools compatibility
- Seventh-generation Avid editing interface
- One-Step Technology
- Tight timeline editing
- Single-track transitions
- Snap to transitions
- Splice, overwrite, extract, lift and split edits
- Sync-lock/sync-break detection
- Dynamic storyboard
- Precise timecode editing
- 32 levels of undo/redo
- Pop-up source monitors, matchframe, sift, consolidate, collapse
- Unlimited clip sizes
- Logging with MediaLog™ software
- Over 50 transitions
- Motion effects, color effects
- Superimpositions and horizontal, vertical & box wipes
- Diagonal, matrix, sawtooth & shape wipes
- Static alpha channel matte key; chroma and luma key
- Matte key
- Flips, flops & resizes
- Peels, pushes & spins
- Conceals, L-conceals, and squeezes
- AVX (Avid Video Xtension) plug-in support
Graphics + Titling
- Integrated, anti-aliased titling tool
- Keyframed graphics and titles
- Rolling and crawling titles
- Hardware-independent QuickTime codec
- Support for TrueType and PostScript fonts
- Import/export over 25 graphic formats from Macintosh, PC and SGI applications
- Import/export FLC animation files
- Import/export anti-aliased PICTs, PICT sequences, QuickTime and OMFI files
- Import PICS files and QuickTime with alpha channel
- Import/export AIFF and SDII files
- QuickTime for Macintosh and Windows
Avid Xpress select | The most feature rich, professional digital video system available for the price, Avid Xpress select includes all the features listed above.
Avid Xpress plus | Includes all the features found in Avid Xpress select, plus:
- Draft-mode resolution AVR 3s
- Two extra video tracks (for a total of 4 video tracks)
- Nesting (compositing multiple video tracks to a single track)
- Fast-rendered dissolves
- Fast-rendered superimpositions and horizontal, vertical and box wipes
- Fast-rendered static alpha channel matte key; chroma and luma key
- Fast-rendered color effects
- Fast-rendered mask
- Fast-rendered titling
- Fast-rendered rolling and crawling titles
- 48 kHz audio
- Real-time audio level adjustments
- JL Cooper FadeMaster audio mixer support
Avid Xpress deluxe | Includes all the features found in Avid Xpress plus, plus:
- 2:1 image compression - 300 KB NTSC/360 KB/PAL (AVR 77)
- Real-time effects at 2:1 image compression
- Real-time dissolves
- Real-time superimpositions and horizontal, vertical and box wipes
- Real-time static alpha channel matte key; chroma and luma key
- Real-time color effects
- Real-time mask
- Real-time uncompressed titles
- Real-time keyframed graphics and titles
- 8-track, real-time, on-line audio mixing
Avid Xpress elite | Includes all the functionality found in Avid Xpress deluxe, plus:
- Real-time, customizable 3D DVEs
- Real-time picture-in-picture (2D or 3D)
- Real-time flips, flops and resizes
- Real-time conceals, L-conceals, and squeezes
- Real-time page curls
- Real-time 3D titles
- Unlimited keyframes on effects
- Real-time x, y, z rotation
- Power Macintosh® 9600 with minimum of 128 MB RAM (160 MB recommended) and CD-ROM drive
- 20 or 21-inch high-resolution monitor
- Broadcast video monitor
- Pair of AVIDstripe™ drives
- Two self-powered speakers