Digital Ocean Seahorse
Seahorse is a rugged handheld computer based on the Newton OS platform. Backlit, lightweight and durable, this addition to the Digital Ocean product family provides a variety of communication options.
Seahorse has integrated and modular communications options in addition to Newton's PCMCIA card slot. Seahorse is available with a CDPD modem, WLAN modem and snap-on modular nose providing users with GPS, GSM or diffuse IR communications capabilities. A rugged boot protects Seahorse while a large capacity, slide-in rechargeable battery ensures long field use.
The Newton platform is a powerful, affordable, mobile computing tool. Cross-platform functionality, hundreds of off-the-shelf applications and a robust development environment make Seahorse an innovative, effective mobile computing solution.
Seahorse provides remote, handheld access to customer service databases, wireless Internet access, and precision location information utilizing handheld GPS systems. With Seahorse, mobile users in isolated locations can access corporate and Internet databases to utilize critical data such as drawings, schematics and manuals.
- ARM 610 RISC processor at 20Mhz
- Apple custom system ASIC
- Low-power, transflective LCD display (320 by 240 pixels) 3.8 in. by 2.8 in. (9.6 cm by 7.2 cm) with integrated EL Backlight
- 8MB of ROM; 2.5MB RAM (1,199K of system RAM; 1,361K of nonvolatile user RAM)
- PC Card slot: Type II with 325 mA capacity
- LocalTalk and RS-232-compatible serial port which also supports handset connection
Integrated Communications Options
Radio - LAN
Frequency Band 902 - 928 MHz DSSS Data Rate throughput 2 Mbps raw Bit Error Rate 10-8 Transmit Power 250 mW - 1W Antenna Dual Diversity FCC Certification Class A Range up to 500 feet (depending on environment)
Controller Radio LAN Administration
- AppleTalk ADSP or AppleTalk DDP-based Grouper Administrative Protocol is supported on the wireless port and the LocalTalk/Serial port
- Administrative protocol allows configuration of communication controller operating parameters and monitoring of communication controller operational-status and statistics
- CDPD modem with optional voice capabilities, Cellular Data/Fax, Cellular Voice, Wireline Data/Fax, and Wireline Voice. This module complies with RS-232 protocol and supports the industry standard AT Commands and the Portable Computer Communication Association extensions for wireless operation.
- Digital cellular network for Europe and beyond.
- Differential Global Positioning System