Earlier versions of AppleShare supported only the AppleTalk network transport protocol but later versions, sold under the name AppleShare IP, allowed use of the TCP/IP protocol stack, as used on most modern networks. AppleShare provided three different protocols for application-layer services: AppleShare File Server, AppleShare Print Server and AppleShare PC.
- Maximum # of Connected Users: 250/500 (Maximum number of connected users is subject to licensing restrictions. The maximum limit of 500 users is only available in ASIP 6.x and may require additional memory.)
- Maximum # of Open Files: 3000 (3000 instances of 346 unique open files. The limit of 346 unique open files is a limitation of Mac OS versions prior to Mac OS 9. Mac OS 9 and later support up to 8169 unique open files. AppleShare IP 6.3 and later, when used with Mac OS 9 and later, can support up to 3000 open files, all of which may be unique.)
- Maximum # of Volumes: 50
- Maximum # of Shared Items: 100
- Maximum # of Users in User and Groups: 4096
- Maximum # of Group Membership/User: 42
- Maximum # of Simultaneous File Launches: 250 (Depends on application and connected users.)
- Maximum # of Files per Volume: 65,536 (ASIP 5.x and 6.x utilize AFP 2.2, which allows for over 4 billion (2^32) shared files on a volume. In practice, the maximum number of shared files will be the same as the maximum number of files that can be stored on the volume. For HFS volumes, this is 65,536 files. For HFS+ volumes this limit will be significantly higher.)
- Maximum Volume Size: 2TB (Mac OS versions prior to System 7.5 support a maximum volume size of 2 GB. System 7.5 and later support volume sizes in excess of 4 GB. However, because AppleTalk Filing Protocol (AFP) version 2.0 is limited to volume sizes of 4 GB or less, the maximum AppleShare volume size remains 4 GB. AFP 2.2 adds support for 2 terabyte volumes. Using AppleShare Client 3.7.2 or newer with AppleShare IP 5.0.2 or newer allows the use of these larger volume sizes.)
- Maximum File Size: 2GB
|AppleShare IP 5.0||--||Mac OS 7.6, and Mac OS 7.6.1||PowerPC 601, 604, or 604e processor; not supported on PowerPC 603 or 603e|
|AppleShare IP 5.0.3||2/26/98||Mac OS 8.0 and Mac OS 8.1; Mac OS 8.1 is recommended||PowerPC 601, 604, 604e, or G3 processor; not supported on 603 or 603e|
Faster. Scalable. More secure. Greater accessibility. If you need a powerful yet simple way to communicate and exchange information, you’ll find AppleShare IP 6.3.3 software an invaluable tool. Install any combination of its integrated file, print, mail, and web servers as needed. Basic setup takes only minutes, and ongoing server management is simple with shared users and groups and its fast remote-administration interface. The services of AppleShare IP 6.3.3 work over TCP/IP and AppleTalk networks, and its native SMB support for Windows clients means it looks just like a Windows NT file server in the Network Neighborhood of Windows users.
Because it supports AFP, FTP, and SMB file transfer protocols, AppleShare IP 6.3.3 lets users access information via your intranet, the Internet, or an AppleTalk network. It is also optimized for exceptional performance across today’s high-speed networks; the file server provides the fastest possible throughput for Macintosh clients as well as high-speed transfers for Windows clients.
Printers and workstations can be located on any combination of AppleTalk and TCP/IP networks. AppleShare IP 6.3.3 allows you to place new print jobs on hold and release them one at a time without putting the queue on hold. And it supports secure printing from both MacOS– and Windows-based clients.
Electronic mail has become an indispensable service for any organization. AppleShare IP 6.3.3 supports the SMTP, POP, and IMAP protocols, allowing you to select the best client- or host-based solution for your users. AppleShare IP now also supports remote POP account download. Trouble with spam? Prevent unwanted mail with extensive anti-spam tools, including support for Realtime Blackhole List (RBL) sites.
AppleShare IP 6.3.3 also includes a powerful web server so your organization can set up its own intranet and Internet websites to share information. Built-in support for plug-ins and CGIs lets you add your own powerful features to the server, and AppleShare can host up to 50 websites from one server.