Apple Newton MessagePad 130
The MessagePad 130 is the first Apple MessagePad to offer user controllable back lighting for on-demand use and a new durable, nonglare screen for viewing and entering information in any lighting condition.
Based on the award winning Newton 2.0 operating system, the MessagePad 130 enhances mobile productivity by allowing customers to organize important information, integrate this information with both Windows- and Mac OS-based personal computers and communicate with others via fax, email, beaming (infrared) and wireless paging. In addition, with the new backlit screen, critical information can be accessed in almost any working environment.
The MessagePad 130 is targeted towards both mobile professionals as a high-end solution and towards the specialized vertical markets as an entry level product where product ruggedization is not a key requirement. Mobile professionals include corporate executives, small business owners, consultants and sales/marketing professionals who perform a significant amount of their work away from the office. Vertical market usages where the backlit screen would be of benefit include the health care, field services, sales force automation and transportation industries where nighttime or darkened working conditions are common.
Key features in the MessagePad 130 include: New transflective LCD with EL backlight for on-demand use in any lighting condition. Non-glare more durable writing surface for easier viewing and a more robust mobile forms/data capture tool. 512K additional system memory for better performance with new Internet solutions and improved multi-tasking. 8MB ROM, 2.5MB RAM (1,361K nonvolatile user RAM).
The MessagePad 130 handheld computer is the entry level Newton device that makes your information as mobile as you are. It makes your information easy to communicate and easy to view. The MessagePad 130 runs the award-winning Newton 2.0 operating system, and features user-controllable back-lighting for on-demand use and a nonglare screen that works in any lighting condition.
With its additional system memory, the MessagePad 130 offers improved performance with communications solutions such as Internet Protocol (IP) applications and wireless LANs, as well as improved multitasking support. It has a built-in notepad, to-do list, datebook, telephone log, and address file for organizing personal and business affairs, as well as Pocket Quicken (U.S. only) to help organize personal and business expenses.
You can enter information in many ways: as digital ink, printed text, hand-drawn graphics, or with an on-screen keyboard. Improved recognition soft-ware quickly transforms your hand-writing into typed text. There's even an optional external keyboard. Pen-based navigation and data entry make finding information easy and fast.
The MessagePad 130 can receive wireless messages and alphanumeric pages, and can send and receive faxes and electronic mail. It also lets you exchange information with either MacOS- or Windows-based computers using the included Newton Backup Utility, or optional Newton Connection Utilities and Newton Press software. Your MessagePad 130 can also be customized with software applications that put critical information at your fingertips, no matter where you are.
Built-in organization functions
- Helps you plan monthly, weekly, and daily activities using the calendar, and manage priorities using the To Do List
- Allows free-form notes, outlines, lists, and phone logs
- Includes customizable name and address files for colleagues and friends, using various business-card formats
- Offers an assortment of information and productivity tools such as time-zone maps, a calculator, and currency exchange
- Includes Pocket Quicken (U.S. only), which puts current information about your cash, checking, savings, and credit-card accounts at your fingertips
- Actively assists you in making phone calls, faxing, printing, finding information, and sending and receiving electronic mail
- Uses an optional wired or wireless modem to send and receive faxes and electronic mail
- Prints formatted letters and notes using Apple printers or serial or parallel printers with the optional Print Pack
- Lets you beam notes, messages, packages, schedules, and business cards via built-in infrared communications
- Backs up all data onto your personal computer and installs software on your MessagePad 130 using the included Newton Backup Utility
- Using the optional Newton Connection Utilities, lets you import and export infor-mation from your MacOS- or Windows-based computer, and backs up and synchronizes files with your computer
- Works with PC cards and serial peripherals such as keyboards, modems, pagers, and wireless communications and storage products
- Offers a large selection of productivity, finance, time and billing, information man-agement, reference, electronic document publishing, and entertainment software