Apple UNIX (A/UX)
Also known as A/UX.
The later versions of A/UX require a 68030 or 68040 based Macintosh with an FPU and PMMU, and it will not run on AV models or LC models. Version 3.1.1 of A/UX was specifically designed to run on the Quadra 900 series, and version 3.0.1 is recommended for any other Mac model. The following Macintosh models should work with A/UX:
- Macintosh SE/30
- Macintosh IIci
- Macintosh IIfx
- Macintosh Quadra 610
- Macintosh Quadra 650
- Macintosh Quadra 700
- Macintosh Quadra 800
- Macintosh Quadra 900
- Macintosh Quadra 950
NOTE: Certain 68040 systems from this list may require the use of a system enabler both in the install boot media and in the initial Mac boot partition after A/UX has been installed.
Other models including those in the Macintosh II line should also work assuming an FPU is present. Likewise if you take a Centris model and switch out the 68LC040 chip with a full FPU version, it should work just like a Quadra.
Cannot mount "/dev/dsk/c100d0s0" - Invalid argument.
Encountered this error during the A/UX 3.0 installer process when it attempted to read its software package list. The system had an 8GB SCSI2SD with A/UX slices pre-partitioned from before the installer launched. Deleting these partitions leaving only the Mac driver bit at the start of the drive and reloading the installer fixed this issue.
You may choose to pre-partition your disk but they will need to be formatted before A/UX installer will work on them. See the instruction link further down on the "floodgap" server for more information. Alternatively you can create your HFS partition before opening the A/UX installer, then using the HD SC utility in A/UX to create your UNIX slices (custom partitioning in 3.0.1 installer is missing the Macintosh volume type).
- When no console user is logged in, the path "/Desktop Folder" points to /tmp. When a user account logs in to the physical console, "/Desktop Folder" changes to the path "/users/(username)/.mac/(hostname)/Desktop Folder"
- Road Map to A/UX 2.0 (1990)
- A/UX Installation Guide (1990)
- A/UX Essentials (1990)
- Setting Up Accounts and Peripherals for A/UX (1990)
- A/UX Text Processing Tools (1990)
- A/UX Local System Administration (1990)
- A/UX Network System Administration (1990)
- A/UX System Administrator's Reference Sections 1M, 7, and 8 (1990)
- A/UX Command Reference Section 1 (A-L) (1990)
- A/UX Command Reference Sections 1 (M-Z) and 6 (1990)
- A/UX Reference Summary And Index (1990)
- A/UX Programmers Reference Sections 2 and 3 (A-L) (1990)
- A/UX Programmers Reference Sections 3 (M-Z), 4, and 5 (1990)
- A/UX Programming Languages and Tools Volume 1 (1990)
- A/UX Programming Languages and Tools Volume 2 (1990)
- A/UX Toolbox: Macintosh ROM Interface (1990)
- A/UX 1.0 Installation Guide (1987)
- A/UX 2.0 Release Notes (1990)
- A/UX Text Editing Tools (1990)
- A/UX User Interface (1990)
- A/UX Communications User Guide (1990)
- Newbie Guide To A/UX (Apple UNIX)
- http://aux.preterhuman.net - netfreak's A/UX experience
- http://christtrekker.users.sourceforge.net/doc/aux/faq.html - A/UX FAQ
- http://www.floodgap.com/retrotech/os/aux/ - A/UX install instructions
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veOLuYgWkls - installing A/UX 3.0.1 on an SE/30