|Please consider a donation to the Higher Intellect project. See https://preterhuman.net/donate.php or the Donate to Higher Intellect page for more info.|
Macintosh Performa 5215CD
The Macintosh Performa 5215CD is an easy-to-use all-in-one system that combines the high performance of PowerPC technology with built-in multimedia features, allowing you to interact with information in new and exciting ways.
The Macintosh Performa 5215CD gets its performance from the fast 75-megahertz PowerPC 603 microprocessor that was codeveloped by Apple, IBM, and Motorola. It comes with 8 megabytes of RAM, which can be expanded to 64 megabytes, and has a 1 gigabyte hard disk drive for ample storage.
The affordable Macintosh Performa 5215CD includes standard multimedia features that are expensive add-ons for other computers. A quadruple-speed CD-ROM drive lets you access CD-based data quickly. Stereo 16-bit sound provides high-quality playback from audio CDs via the built-in speakers. And a built-in 15-inch multiscan color display supports up to 32,000 colors.
You can even extend the system’s multimedia capabilities by adding a video-in card and connecting it to an external video source, such as a VCR or camcorder, to cut and paste video images. Or you can add an internal TV tuner— with a remote control— to view television channels in a window on your display.
The Macintosh Performa 5215CD comes equipped with an internal 14.4-kilobits-per-second data and electronic fax modem with full-duplex speakerphone and digital answering machine capability. Multiple ports allow you to connect to peripherals such as external disk drives, printers, and scanners. And a flexible LC processor direct slot makes it easy to add an Ethernet networking card. The eWorld on-line service option has been replaced by America Online. 5215CD customers can open the bundled eWorld application and connect to via the modem to a server where they can download or order the America Online software.
Incredibly capable, yet amazingly affordable, the Macintosh Performa 5215CD will bring high-performance multimedia computing within the reach of people in homes, schools, and offices.
- Ready to run, right out of the box.
- Easy to set up, learn, and use.
- Built-in 15-inch multiple-scan color display (12.8-inch viewable image size).
- Built-in quadruple-speed, tray-loading CD-ROM player.
- Internal 14.4K bps data and electronic fax modem with speakerphone and digital answering machine.
- Runs all Macintosh applications as well as accelerated (native) applications designed especially for PowerPC processor–based Macintosh computers.
- Requires no additional software or cables.
- Includes energy-saving feature that reduces power consumption by 50 percent for EPA Energy Star compliance.
Software titles included
- American Heritage Dictionary
- MacLink Plus/Easy Open Translators
- MacGallery Clip Art Treasure Pak
- Click Art Performa Collection
- At Ease
- Mangia Special Edition
- The Writing Center
- Fine Artist
- Widget Workshop
- Power Pete
- EPIE’s Guide to MAC Home Learning Software
CD-ROM titles included
- 1995 Grolier Multimedia Encyclopedia
- 3D Atlas
- Club KidSoft CD
- Thinkin’ Things Collection 2
- My First Incredible, Amazing Dictionary
- Smithsonian’s America
- The Family Doctor
- Professor Piccolo from Opcode
Microprocessor and cache
- PowerPC 603 RISC processor running at 75 MHz
- Integrated floating-point unit
- 16K internal cache
- 256K Level-2 cache
- Comes with 8MB of RAM.
- Can be expanded to up to 64MB of RAM in two DRAM SIMM sockets.
- Uses 72-pin, noncomposite 80-nanosecond or faster DRAM SIMMs.
- One internal 1GB hard disk drive
- One built-in Apple SuperDrive 1.4MB floppy disk drive that uses high-density floppy disks and reads, writes, and formats Macintosh, Windows, MS-DOS, OS/2, and ProDOS disks
- AppleCD 600i quadruple-speed CD-ROM drive
Apple Multiple Scan 15 Display (built in)
- 15-inch RGB color display (12.8-inch viewable image size)
- Adjustable resolutions:
- 640 by 480 pixels at 67 Hz
- 800 by 600 pixels at 67 and 72 Hz —832 by 624 pixels at 75 Hz
- 0.28-mm dot pitch
- Noninterlaced, flat, square cathode ray tube (CRT)
- Meets the strictest international magnetic-field emissions guidelines (SWEDAC MPR2).
- 1MB DRAM display support, independent of system DRAM
Color depth support
- Standard 16-bit color for display of 32,768 colors on the 15-inch display (12.8-inch viewable image size) at 640- by 480-pixel resolution, and 8-bit color at 800- by 600-pixel or 832- by 624-pixel resolution
- RS-232/RS-422 serial port
- SCSI interface port for connecting as many as five external peripheral devices
- Internal expansion slot compatible with most Macintosh LC II, LC III, LC 475, LC 520, LC 550, LC 575, and LC 630; Macintosh Quadra 605 and 630; and Macintosh Performa processor-direct cards
- Communications slot that supports the 14.4K-bps data/fax/voice modem
- Video slot to support the Apple Video System (NTSC, PAL, and SECAM)
- Infrared remote receiver and dedicated connector for optional internal Apple TV/Video System (which includes TV tuner)
- Optional External Video Connector to support Apple Presentation System, LCD projection panels, or an external monitor
- Serial port for AppleTalk
- Global Village TelePort Gold IIv Internal 14.4K bps data/fax/voice modem
- Built in error correction and compression (MNP4, V.42, MNP5, V.42bis)
- Internet, fax, and telephony software included
- Stereo 16-bit sound capable of driving stereo headphones or other stereo equipment through the sound jack
- One sound-in port
- Front headphone jack
- Built-in stereo speakers
- Built-in microphone
Keyboard and mouse
- AppleDesign Keyboard and mouse
- Easy Access and visible beep included with system software. These built-in solutions and third-party options provide alternative input and output devices for people with disabilities.
- Line voltage: 100 to 240 volts AC, RMS single phase, automatically configured
- Frequency: 50 to 60 Hz, single phase
- Power: 125 W maximum, including display
- EPA Energy Star compliant
ADB power requirements
- Maximum current draw for all ADB devices: 500 mA (a maximum of three ADB devices is recommended)
- Mouse current draw: 10 mA
- Keyboard current draw: 25 to 80 mA (varies with keyboard model used)
Size and weight
- Height: 17.5 in. (44.5 cm)
- Width: 15.1 in. (38.3 cm)
- Depth: 16 in. (40.6 cm)
- Weight: 47 lb. (21.15 kg), but varies depending on internal devices installed
- Operating temperature: 50 ̊ to 104 ̊ F (10 ̊ to 40 ̊ C)
- Storage temperature: –40 ̊ to 116 ̊ F (–40 ̊ to 47 ̊ C)
- Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
- Maximum altitude: 10,000 ft. (3,048 m)