Developed as part of the Apple/IBM/Motorola alliance. The 604 was used in a number of Apple Computer systems, some IBM RS/6000 models and other systems/applications. This CPU is also used in the Motorola Atlas system.
The principal features of the PowerPC 604 microprocessor include
- full RISC processing architecture
- parallel processing units: one load-store unit, two integer units, one complex integer unit, and one floating-point unit
- a branch manager that can usually implement branches by reloading the incoming instruction queue without using any processing time
- an internal memory management unit (MMU)
- separate built-in caches for data and instructions, 16 KB each, four-way set associative
Improves performance over the 604 with additional L1 cache and faster clock speeds.